Thursday 9 January 2014

J/601/6648 - 2.2 + 3.1 + 3.2 + 4.1 & 4.2; Photographs

Test Images


The image above was taken using my iPod 4, and is the only photogrpah that I thought was to an acceptable standard. What I like about this shot is the the realisation of scale - the clock tower of St Pancras towers over the building work of the London Underground station entrance, upon the scaffolding of which stands a lowly worker creating a point of interest - what could a single person be doing up on scaffolding at a building site?


I'm less fond of this one after posting it compared to when I took it, however I still like how the statue has been placed inside St Pancras international in relation to the clock. The statue, of  former Poet Laureate Sir John Betjeman, is  actually looking up at the magnificent glass roof, but I liked how, when viewed from this angle, the clock seemingly enters his line of vision.


The photo above demonstrates a sub-genre of my theme - namely human instinct to disobey rules. Pedestrian crossings almost serve no purpose in the capital; the vast number of pedestrians on the footpaths would mean that queues at crossings could be unbearably large if people were to wait for the green man. Unfortunately, the day I was at Kings Cross pedestrian numbers were surprisingly low - I was hoping to capture more people on the crossing (which can be seen at red) but had to make do with the handful that were around at the time. As a point of contrast, notice the one person on the other side who is patiently waiting for the green man...


The lack of lighting in this shot on the passengers I think adds to the atmosphere of this shot. Perhaps one thing Britain is commonly associated with is queuing. This shot puts a little spin on that idea, by not focusing on a linear 'queue' like one in a shop, but instead what I refer to a 'mass' queue, where people are waiting for something, like the announcement of a train time and platform in this still. Rather than all pressing into one group, people have spaced themselves out, respecting other people's personal space, whilst still trying to stand in a space that would allow them a 'quick get-away' once they have the information they need.


Final 5

The images below are those I have chosen as my final 5.


This image is similar to the last of my examples above; however I have chosen this as a final image as I admire the roof structure and the space between it and the waiting passengers below.


The curiosity that arises from the single person in this shot is why I chose this as a final image. You cannot clearly see if the person is standing or walking, so you can't be sure if they are going to or from a train, or if they are waiting, observing or just 'sightseeing.'


My only criticism here would be that I needed to be more central - unfortunately a pillar would have obstructed the view.
The arched roof gives a clear impression of the depth of the staion as it shrinks into the distance.


Another image that portrays the human instinct to disobey; despite a clear 'No Entry' sign above the door, people persistantly enter through it into the station. The two potential passengers in the foreground are a contrast as they continue on their way past toward the genuine entrance.


Several images of London captured in one place together: Busses, Black Cabs, Kings Cross and Traffic. The bus spanning two lanes in the background nicely examples part of the chaos of London, whilst the signpost in the foreground creates a division in the photo of those vehicles closest to the camera and those in the distance.

I'd like it to be known that I have not edited these images using any photo editing software or camera filters. I do not believe that such means result in a 'photograph,' as they can warp appearances. I prefer to share the raw photo as that honestly represents what I have intended to capture.

No comments:

Post a Comment